Monday, August 1, 2011

the universal facebook

I would just like to start this post by saying that I have 2 Armenian Facebook friends to date, and I am waiting on a response for a third!  Please be a little jealous, as I am very excited about this.  International Facebook friends; what could be cooler?  Not much, let me tell you.

Today we went back to the work site with our first family for the last time.  It was such a bittersweet day.  We had a ton of fun with everyone, and we got to give the family all of our gifts.  At lunch everyone made wonderful toasts about how thankful they were to have people like us here to help them build their house.  A group from the church in  Yerevan, Etchmiatsin, showed up unexpectedly, and they sang us songs in Armenian.  The bishop also made a toast to us, saying what wonderful Christians we were to come to another country to help people we didn't know to build a home.  He was very gracious and thankful, as were all of the people we have met and served over the past week.  It has truly been a blessing to us as well to come and work with such wonderful people.  When we finally had to leave, it was actually a happy goodbye.  We spent a lot of time taking pictures with the family and the children and everyone!  Then we all hugged and said our goobyes.  There were no tears, just lots of smiles because we know we will always keep them with us in our hearts, and they will have a little bit of us in their home, too.

After our work day we went back to the hotel for showers and rest before going to watch some of the local youth perform traditional Armenian dances for us.  At the end, they even invited us up to dance as well.  That was a lot of fun, even though I didn't really know what I was doing.  Apparently the rest of our group did though because we got a lot of compliments on our dancing.  Then it was off to dinner!  We got to eat outside, and we were lucky that the weather cooled down this evening.  It was HOT today!

I also want to say that I am very glad that I have my camera here with me, but I am also sad that I don't have my laptop so that I can process the pictures a day or two at a time.  I have almost filled up a 16GB SD card with RAW photos.  I have taken approximately 2,000 photos since leaving Georgia on July 21st, and I'm anticipating going through them when I get home with equal portions excitement and dread.  It's going to take a long time and a lot of computer space.

Well, tomorrow is a work day with our new family, and I'm looking forward to meeting them.  Then Wednesday is the lake day, which we are all looking forward to as well.  It will be nice to find a place to cool off.
Thank you for reading.  Keep up the wonderful prayers!

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment